My life is not really that hard, it just seems that way sometimes. I'm just a poor black man stuck way too far down south trying to make each day a little better than the last.

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Ignorant???

A friend sent me this. I knew there was a deeper reason I didn't like this song...LOL






New Artist Jibbs' Single "Chain Hang Low". A History behind the nusery rhyme that the song is biting off of .


Recently there is a new artist out of Saint Louis that goes by the name JIBBS. Jibbs debut single "Chain hang low" has a history that most people are not aware of. The particular nusery rhyme that the song mimics is "Ears Hang Low" The history behind this song is that during the civil war Confererate soldiers would remove certain body parts (primarily ears and testicles) from the deceased corpses of freed slaves who were fighting as Northern (Yankee) soldiers after their battles. These "trinkets" were then placed on a rope necklace and worn as a trophy piece. As the lyrics to the nusery rhyme state "do your ears hang low, do they wobble to and fro... etc" "Can you throw them over your shoulder like a (Continental) soldier". This word (Continental) took this nursery rhyme from racist jargon to playful melody. The word that filled this space was (Confederate) as in Confederate soldier. Other nursery rhymes have done the same i.e. Eenie, Meenie, Minee, Moe catch a Ni**er by his toe. Not Tiger. My question to young people black and white is that "Does knowing the history of the nursery rhyme change your opinion of the New single by Jibbs. " Personnally knowing this myself I can't stand to hear the song. It seems to advertise our ignorance as a people. I wrote this note to inform people of this. Knowledge is power and Ignorance IS NOT BLISS; its SUICIDE. If you don't know, you can't change. So black, white, indifferent tell me how you feel about this now that you've attained knowledge

6 Comments:

Blogger Ladynay said...

Wow, you definitely learn something new everyday. I never liked the song to begin with.

I think changing a negative song to a positive one is okay tho'.

6:54 AM

 
Blogger Dayne Avery said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:23 PM

 
Blogger Dayne Avery said...

I never knew that. Very enlightening. With the state of music these days I wouldnt be surprised if they brought back those racist lyrics of the past. And sadly if it was put to a hot enough beat, how many of our people would send it to the top of the bilboard charts?

10:24 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

My people lived with "Livin' la vida loca" for years...believe me, it wasn't cute...
...but seriously pa, if you know where it originates and you still feel the need to sing-along and tap your foot you're a moron, but for most youngsters, they don't know the origins of these songs - even their parents have no clue. So thanks for educating and cut folks some slack...it's like that public service announcement...
"The more you know..."

2:38 PM

 
Blogger @GaryTylone said...

Wow...that was insightful...as much as learning the origin of "picnic" ...

12:21 AM

 
Blogger Marz said...

HMMM. Interesting. I dind't like the song to begin with, because it lacked originality. Also, it doesn't talk about anything real that's happeneing like other rappers are starting to do. ( The roots, lupe fiasco)

It's funny that my friends and I never changed ennie minnie miny moe. Cuz afterwards we'd say, " old black joe, my momm socked your momma in the face, what color was the blood?" then we had to spell the color.


-Marz

12:08 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home