My life is not really that hard, it just seems that way sometimes. I'm just a poor black man stuck way too far down south trying to make each day a little better than the last.

Saturday, August 12, 2006

I'll Never Tell

I had a "interesting" conversation at work last night.

I was chilling in the common area of the office when I noticed a picture of Lance Bass from Nsync( the one that just came out) on this guys locker. Now this guy...he's very flamboyant...very obvious. After I tell them to take the shit down( why don't they just spray paint fag across his locker), we get into a conversation about homosexuality. I hear most of the usual shit I'm sure we've all heard before
" I don't understand how two dudes can be together" If you did you'd be gay, huh?

" I don't think it's a choice, god wouldn't make a mistake" Like you know how god thinks.

" I couldn't be friends with a gay person" Well guess what you are or atleast you were.

Usually when I'm in a situation like this. I either keep my mouth closed to keep from cussing someone out( it's like if someone was sitting there talking shit about black people) or talk about my live and let live philosophy. This time I did the latter but towards the end of this small minded chatter this one chick said something that made me think...

"well if you're going to join the military you need to assimilate to military culture and the military's way of life"

hmmm...She may have something there. I mean whether you think the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy is right or wrong it is law and people are informed about the policy before signing those enlistment papers. Personally I think the policy is stupid. I doubt that if it was removed we would see a sudden influx of out and proud people in the military, there are other reasons to stay in the closet. It does seriously screw up the lives and careers of hundreds of people who were probably serving there country well until certain information came to light.
It's not just the sudden lost of a job of a job though. There is a stigma that comes with receiving a less than honorable discharge from the military. There's the loss of benefits and entitlements. For example, members are entitled to disability pay for any permanent injuries they received while in the service. I have a jacked up shoulder from carrying patients on litters, I have slight hearing loss from working around planes and I was exposed to TB while working in a military hospital.
I've served this government for almost 8 years, 13 months of which I spent in assorted miserable desserts. Lived in places I've never really wanted to be and done jobs that I've hated and I'll be damned if I don't get everything that's coming to me when my time is up. So regardless of my feelings about gays in the military and the way I want to live my life right now I'm going to keep my mouth closed, keep my life outside the job to myself and get through these last two years.

Does that make me a sell out?

9 Comments:

Blogger Dayne Avery said...

Nah, does not make you a sell out, if you ask me it makes you smart. Thats their philosophy (dont ask dont tell) you are just doing as the romans do in rome. Dont mess up your money man, cuz when you get your honorable dischare, I want 10%.

10:57 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I served in the Air Force for 6 years... I know exactly what you are talking about! Though I never talked about my sexuality in a public forum while I was in the military I always stood my ground when it came to discussions on sexuality. Believe me, I know all too well of the homophobia that plagues the Corps but all you can do is get through and get by. There are too many people set in stone and it is not worth fighting a battle that you will lose. Remember to think about the demographic of people who join the military. There are many people who are from small towns who have never even known anyone to be openly gay... a shame, I know, but reality. You keep doing what you are doing.

6:47 PM

 
Blogger Ladynay said...

I don't think your selling out, if I was in your shoes I would think that I would stay quiet because there is no reason to tell.

7:28 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

endearing what is correct is honorable before all, openly, unashamed, and righteous.

10:54 AM

 
Blogger E said...

You're definitely doing the right thing. You don't want to make unnecessary waves in your last two years. Hang in there!

8:26 AM

 
Blogger fuzzy said...

Dayne Avery took the words right outta my mouth! I think policies have changed a bit concerning gays but doesn't mean that you wont be on a easy ride. Be you just word yourself cleverly or dont say anything that gives yourself up. Be smart, you're not a sell out...

2:15 PM

 
Blogger Marz said...

KEEP THAT MOUTH CLOSED.

I'd throw a fit my damn self if you got a less than honorable discharge. You be good, and start talking about K-Fed's career, or start chewing gum to keep your mouth occupied. (LOL)


-Marz

12:55 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP boots hiking scrabble anagram manual wheelchair carriers Subaru tecnica international In case humidifiers for violins Bypass windows and format my hard drive Is there acess for people in wheelchairs free wheelchair image xxx videos

1:23 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info Maintaining a humidifier cigar

4:31 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home