My life is not really that hard, it just seems that way sometimes. I'm just a poor black man stuck way too far down south trying to make each day a little better than the last.

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Say A Little Prayer For Me

I just finished reading E. Lynn Harris' new "I Say a Little Prayer". Read the thing in like 5 hours. I've enjoyed Most of his books, but I thought this one was excellent. In the beginning I thought the main character was going to be kind of a asshole with his whole" three date rule" or should I say three fuck rule. You start liking the guy and understanding why he is the way he is by the middle though. For those who've read his previous books...Yancy shows up( she didn't learn her lesson after all and Basil's in love with Ray.

I was gonna write a post entitled "Embarrassing Shit about ME" but yeah, had second thoughts about that one.

I'm listening to "Stay" by Lisa Loeb right now and it's stirring these feelings.....

This cheers me up though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rERESWXV4Y

7 Comments:

Blogger Ladynay said...

Stay is one of those sing in the mirror holding a hairbrush as your mic songs and then start throwing pillows off your bed when she starts going off...lol

7:42 AM

 
Blogger fuzzy said...

funny but seemingly true video :-D

2:41 PM

 
Blogger heartbreaker said...

yo i am so beyonce'd OUT right now, but i watched that video and the one after it too, too funny - and I haven't actually read any of his books, but I guess I'll try to see what all the fuss is about... and yeah having second thoughts on a post? i wish i would have that sometimes cuz I pay the price for some things i write, often... lol but anyway... ttyl

5:11 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did not care for this book AT ALL!

I find it very disgraceful someone would promote a challenge between Man and his pride of life (And sexuality) against the bible and biblical principles.

3:00 PM

 
Blogger Marz said...

I don't like E. Lynn Harris's works that much.

I could see the acclaim of Invisible Life because of the times and how groundbreaking it was, and all praises for that. But his books never seem to break the mold. They always have the same eseences. I read the book and I didn't like it. The climax was very anticlimactic for me. HOwever, because of the issues I was having with the church it was fppd for that time and place.

Also, even though his books are really dry to me, when he reads them they come to life.

I just wish the life was there when I read them.


-Marz

8:19 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know what? I love E. Lynn from WAY back but this book did not really do it for me like the others. I did like the fact that he talked about homosexuality and the church.

1:55 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know what? I love E. Lynn from WAY back but this book did not really do it for me like the others. I did like the fact that he talked about homosexuality and the church.

1:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home